Friday, April 6, 2012

My Pain, His Pain Poem


His eyes are lifeless.  That only makes it harder, so much harder.  If I ease his pain, who’s going to ease mine? I could pick him up in my arms and take him to the place he won’t return but then how do I get back?
I could tell someone to take him for me. I could, I could. But I can’t.  I can be the one to end his suffering, but that would only make mine grow.  Must I be so selfish to put my pain before his? If I take him to his death I would be taken myself to mine. I would be killing us both. He would go fast but I would go slowly.

His last feeling would be the cold touch of the needle, the bee sting on his back. His eyes will close and his soul will wander away. His pain will end and mine will just stay. Just stay. If I take him to the place of no return he will no longer be mine but of this earth.  He will no longer be my friend and my companion but a memory in the back of my head.

His eyes are lifeless but that only makes it harder. He barks at me and licks my hand begging me. If I ease his pain, who’s going to ease mine? 

No comments:

Post a Comment